What are belts & hoses?
Your vehicle’s belts and hoses are vital to cooling the engine, air conditioning and charging systems, and the engine. Taking the routine replacement intervals of these essential parts for granted is a huge mistake…because they can and will eventually break down… leaving you stranded…and costing needless hundreds, even thousands of dollars extra in repair costs.
What do belts & hose do?
- Timing Belt – keeps the crankshaft and camshaft mechanically synchronized to maintain engine timing.
- Serpentine, V-belt or Fan Belt (the belts on the outside of the engine), they all transmit power from the front of the engine to accessories that need to be driven, such as the air conditioning, the charging system and fans.
- Radiator and Heat Hoses – carry coolant to and from the engine, radiator and heater core.
Typical Wear and Tear
Key items that affect the replacement interval for belts and hoses:
- Vehicle age
- Electrolytic corrosion
- Oil contamination
- Belt tension
- Failed hose clamps
- Dashboard light will illuminate
- Squeaking noise from under the hood during start-up or operation
- Coolant leaks