BI Intelligence recently released an in depth research assessment of the self-driving vehicle market.
BMW, Mercedes and Tesla have already released, or will soon release…self-driving features that give the car some ability to drive itself. Tech companies are also hot on the car companies trail to pioneer their own self-driving cars. Google has been test driving their own since Summer 2016!
BI Intelligence analyzed the self-driving car market by assessing the current status quo of the self-driving car and performed an in-depth analysis as to how self-driving car will progress over the next five years. A major focal point of the report describes the economic impact that self-driving cars can have while also addressing the current barriers that prevent the self-driving car from coming to market.
Key Points from the report:
- Self-driving cars are already here! Definition: Self-Driving Car – any car with features that allow it to accelerate, brake, and steer a car’s course with limited or no driver interaction.
- Two different types self-driving vehicles: semi-autonomous and fully autonomous. A fully autonomous vehicle can drive from point A to point B and encounter the entire range of on-road scenarios without needing any interaction from the driver. These will debut in 2019.
- 10 million cars by 2020 …with one of our defined self-driving car features are projected to be on road by the end of the forecast period.
- 2 Types of Fully Autonomous Cars – User-Operated and Driverless – Regulatory and Insurance issues will only allow user-operated fully autonomous cars to come to market within the next five years, while driverless cars will come farther into the future.
- Fewer Deaths & Easier Lives – Making roads safer and people’s lives easier are two of the largest projected benefits of self-driving cars. KPMG estimates that self-driving cars will lead to 2,500 fewer deaths between 2014 and 2030 in the UK alone.
- Real Barriers Remain – Lower Costs and better clarified regulations need to manifest before self-driving vehicles can become more mainstream among consumers.